ASHLAND, Ohio – The Ohio Dominican volleyball team battled the Eagles of Ashland University on Saturday afternoon, falling in three sets, 3-0.
Box Score Notes
- Junior Olivia Kirksey (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) notched another double-figure kill game, collecting 10. Kirksey added seven digs. Freshman Jenna Peters (Vermilion, Ohio) followed with eight kills.
- Libero Kelsey Shoup (Dalton, Ohio) and Gabrielle Kirker (Tallmadge, Ohio) each grabbed eight digs. Kirker also led the team with 14 assists.
- Fellow setter Saige Avery (Yorkville, Ill.) snagged 13 assists and four digs.
How It Happened
- The Panthers fell behind early 9-4. The Eagles extended their lead to 13-5 after a four-to-one run.
- The Black and Gold responded with a five-point run of their own, still trailing 16-12.
- AU ended the first set winning nine of the last 13 points, 25-16.
- Ashland jumped to an 8-1 lead in the second set.
- ODU brought it within one after kills from Madison Smith (Elyria, Ohio) and Grace Zinchuk (Schaumburg, Ill.), making it 13-12.
- The Eagles took the second set 25-15 after a 12-to-three run, leading 2-0 in sets.
- Ohio Dominican trailed 4-1 in the third set but quickly tied it up 8-all after a kill from Ashley Aselage (Tipp City, Ohio).
- AU retook the lead with a five-point swing, making it 13-8.
- Kirksey collected back-to-back kills to cut the deficit to 18-15.
- Despite a late kill from Peters, Ashland won the third set, 25-20, and the match, 3-0.
Ohio Dominican returns home next weekend, playing host to Trevecca Nazarene on Friday and Ky. Wesleyan on Saturday. The seniors will be recognized before the match on Saturday afternoon.
Contact: Bailee Worley