COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Dominican women's basketball team faced off against the Walsh Cavaliers for the second time this season on Saturday afternoon. The Cavs edged by the Panthers in the final minutes to win the contest 61-58.
Box Score Notes
- Leading the way for the 13th time this season was Gabby Stare (Newark, Ohio) with 21 points. The junior went 8-20 from the floor and 5-6 from the charity stripe. Stare grabbed five rebounds and two assists.
- Freshman Macy Chapman (Hilliard, Ohio) followed with 14 points. She added two assists seven rebounds, and led with three steals.
- Off the bench, Kayla McClendon (Columbus, Ohio) tallied eight points. The sophomore notched four rebounds and a block. Fellow sophomore, Shannon Wojciak (Medina, Ohio) also snagged four rebounds.
- The Black and Gold outrebounded the Maroon and Gold 38-29 and 10-3 on the offensive end. Logan Pride (Twinsburg, Ohio) led the way grabbing eight. Pride also netted eight points and two steals.
How It Happened
- For the second time this week, Pride won the jump ball. ODU then went on a 6-3 run through the first three minutes of the opening period. The Cavaliers answered with a run of their own, grabbing the lead, 20-18 after the first quarter.
- Ohio Dominican and Walsh went bucket-for-bucket in the second period. The Panthers outshot the Cavs 40 percent to 28.6 percent from behind the arc, trailing by five at the break, 36-31.
- Stare opened the third period with consecutive jump shot, trying to give ODU momentum. The Maroon and Gold retaliated with an 8-2 swing, bringing their lead back up to nine with 4:11 left in the third period. With back-to-back baskets from Chapman, the Black and Gold trailed by six going into the final 10 minutes of play.
- The Panthers rallied at the beginning of the final period with an 8-0 scoring run, giving them a 53-51 lead. With 4:44 left to play, the Cavaliers tied it up at 55-all with a layup form Dyrlund. Stare converted a three-point play, her second of the quarter, to take a three point lead in the final minutes. The Cavaliers closed the game on a 6-0 swing to take the win, 61-58.
Ohio Dominican will return to the court in exactly one week as they travel to Findlay to close out the month of January.
Contact: Bailee Worley