COLUMBUS, Ohio – On Wednesday evening, the Black and Gold defeated non-conference opponent West Liberty 79-68 to pick up their first win on the season inside Alumni Hall.
Box Score Notes
- Junior Gabby Stare (Newark, Ohio) grabbed 31 points, just shy of a career-high. Stare went 13-15 from the charity stripe and snagged four rebounds.
- Following her was guard Trinity Ramos (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) with 14 points. Ramos added three assists and three rebounds.
- Fellow freshman Macy Chapman (Hilliard, Ohio) tallied 12 points, with 10 coming in the first quarter.
- Junior Camryn Pickerill (Seamen, Ohio) snagged seven rebounds to lead the Panthers. Shannon Wojciak (Medina, Ohio) added six to the mix.
- Transfer junior Nia Johnson (Holland, Ohio) came off the bench, notching nine points while shooting 100 percent from the field.
- Ohio Dominican shot 56 percent from the field and 83 percent from the free-throw line.
How It Happened
- The Black and Gold scored first off a quick turnover from the Hilltoppers in the opening seconds.
- ODU went on an 8-0 run to extend their lead to 18-13 with 2:32 remaining in the first period. West Liberty responded with a 4-0 run of their own to close out the first quarter tied at 23-all.
- The Hilltoppers opened the second quarter with a 12-point swing to grab the lead 37-25.
- The Panthers went on a 15-5 run to close out the half, still trailing 42-40. Stare led the charge with all 15 points, with 13 points in a row.
- To begin the third quarter, Johnson grabbed back-to-back layups to give ODU a 51-48 edge.
- Ramos added a three-pointer in the final second to keep the lead, 56-55, going into the final period.
- Madelyn Fearon (Greenville, Ohio) and Johnson added quick buckets to open the fourth quarter, growing the Black and Gold's lead to 62-58 with 7:00 remaining.
- Ohio Dominican ended the game on top 79-68, going 11-14 from the charity stripe in the last five minutes.
The Panthers hit the road for the first time this season on Saturday afternoon (Nov. 19) as they face Saginaw Valley State for a 1:00 PM tip off.
Contact: Bailee Worley