COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Dominican women's basketball team received 10-plus points from five different players and shot 57 percent on the game, but could not overcome the defense of Ferris State in a 75-69 season opening loss at home.
Box Score Notes
- Freshman guard Macy Chapman (Hilliard, Ohio) led the way for the Black and Gold with 16 points. Junior Gabby Stare (Newark, Ohio) followed with 14 points.
- Guard, Madelyn Fearon (Greenville, Ohio) exploded in the second half shooting 50 percent from the floor, grabbing 12 points and four assists.
- Fellow guards Trinity Ramos (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) and Kayla McClendon (Columbus, Ohio) added 21 points combined.
- As a team, the Panthers snagged 25 rebounds with sophomore Shannon Wojciak (Medina, Ohio) collecting six to lead the team.
- ODU shot 70 percent in the first quarter alone and ended the game shooting 57 percent.
How It Happened
- The Bulldogs were on the board first with a quick bucket in the first quarter. Free throws from McClendon with three minutes remaining gave the Black and Gold a 9-8 lead.
- Ramos added five points late to give ODU the edge, 18-14 going into the second quarter.
- The Panthers continued to lead in the second quarter 24-18 after buckets from Ramos and Stare.
- FSU took the lead with back-to-back scores, making it 31-26.
- Before the break, McClendon grabbed six points to keep the Black and Gold within five at the half, 37-32.
- The third quarter opened with a steal from Fearon, resulting in a layup for Chapman.
- Trailing 40-34, Ohio Dominican went on a 15-0 run to regain the lead 49-40. Fearon grabbed seven straight and 10 total points in the run.
- The Bulldogs responded with a 13-2 swing to close out the third quarter with FSU leading by two, 53-51.
- Chapman began the fourth quarter scoring six straight, but Ohio Dominican still trailed by one, 60-59 midway through the period.
- ODU regained the lead 67-66 after a six-point swing from Stare, McClendon, and Fearon.
- Ferris State retaliated with a 9-2 run to finished out the game on top 75-69.
The Black and Gold remain at home hosting West Liberty on Wednesday, Nov. 16 with a 5:30 PM tip-off.
Contact: Bailee Worley