WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – The Ohio Dominican softball team is set to return to the field after a week off, traveling to compete in the Rebel Spring Games starting this weekend. The Panthers will play 14 games over the course of seven days.
Saturday, March 8
ODU vs. Adelphi, 12:00 p.m.
ODU vs. Minnesota State Mankato, 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 9
ODU vs. Southwest Minnesota State, 10:00 a.m.
ODU vs. Northern State, 12:00 p.m.
Monday, March 10
ODU vs. Minnesota State Mankato, 1:00 p.m.
ODU vs. Glenville State, 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday, March 11
ODU vs. St. Cloud State, 9:00 a.m.
ODU vs. Augustana (SD), 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 13
ODU vs. Maryville (MO), 9:00 a.m.
ODU vs. LIU Post, 11:00 a.m.
Friday, March 14
ODU vs. Glenville State, 9:00 a.m.
ODU vs. Caldwell, 11:00 a.m.
Saturday, March 15
ODU vs. Caldwell, 9:00 a.m.
ODU vs. Florida Southern, 11:00 a.m.
- Ohio Dominican returns to the field after a week's break.
- The Panthers finished their weekend with a 0-2 record after dropping a pair of games to Trevecca Nazarene on Saturday.
- The Rebel Spring Games is one of two remaining non-conference games for ODU before the Panthers open conference play at Lake Superior State on Saturday, March 22.
- ODU will face three top-25 teams over the spring game tournament.
Adelphi (0-0, 0-0 NE-10)
- Led by second year head coach Breanne Nasti.
- Finished 41-19 (25-5 NE-10) in 2013.
- Made it to the NCAA Division II East Super-Regionals.
- Picked to finish first in the conference in the NE-10 Southwest Division Preseason Poll.
- The game against ODU will be the first game for the XX, having the first two games this season postponed due to inclement weather.
Minnesota State Mankato (2-4, 0-0 NSIC)
- Led by 30 year head coach Lori Meyer.
- Meyer has coached 1,560 games, amassed 967 wins, coached 19 All-Americans, and has made 11 trips to the NCAA Division II National Tournament, most recently in 2013.
- Voted first in the NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- Finished 40-12 (19-5 NSIC) in 2013.
- The Mavericks are currently on a three-game losing streak.
Southwest Minnesota State (0-4, 0-0 NSIC)
- Led by second year head coach Jamie Dunn.
- Picked 12th in the NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- Has lost all four games this season.
- Finished 19-21 last season (12-16 NSIC).
- This will be the first meeting between the Mustangs and Panthers.
Northern State (0-0, 0-0 NSIC)
- Led by fourth year head coach Kristi Villar.
- The Wolves have had their first six games cancelled this season.
- Northern State was 19-23 last season with an 11-13 mark in conference play.
- The Wolves were picked 11th in Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- Kelsey Gale was tabbed as NSU player to watch for the 2014 season. As a key member of the infield, Gale started all 42 games in her true freshman season leading the Wolves in batting average (.308), on base percentage (.388), runs scored (24), hits (41), doubles (8), stolen bases (11) and at bats.
Glenville State (0-0, 0-0 MEC)
- Led by third year head coach Mandy Sansbury.
- Went 27-17 last season.
- Picked fifth in MEC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
St. Cloud State (2-2, 0-0 NSIC)
- Led by 14th year head coach Paula U'Ren.
- The Huskies are 2-2 this season.
- The team was ranked eighth in the NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- The Huskies defeated previously No. 8 Augustana (SD) 3-2 back in February.
Augustana (7-2, 0-0 NSIC)
- Led by eighth year head coach Gretta Melsted.
- Has had 30+ wins in five of eight seasons under Melsted.
- Melsted has guided the Vikings to four NCAA Tournament appearances.
- Picked third in NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
- Ranked fifth in the nation.
Maryville (2-4, 0-0 GLVC)
- Led by third year head coach Liz Kelly.
- The Saints were 12-24 last season with a 9-17 mark in the GLVC.
- Maryville will play two games before heading to the Rebel Games.
LIU Post (0-0, 0-0 ECC)
- The Rebel Spring games will be the first time the Pioneers have played this season.
- The Pioneers are led by 16th year head coach Jamie Apicella.
- LIU Post is ranked 10th in the country.
- Picked first in the ECC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
Caldwell (0-0, 0-0 CACC)
- Led by 20th year head coach Dean Johnson.
- Ranked 19th in the country.
- In the CACC Preseason Coaches' Poll, the Cougars were predicted to repeat as conference champions.
- Last season, the Cougars advanced to the finals of the NCAA Regional Tournament.
Florida Southern (8-7, 1-2 SSC)
- Led by 33rd year head coach Chris Bellotto.
- Bellotto owns a 1,127-394 record since FSC transitioned from slow-pitch to fast-pitch.
- She is only one of 22 coaches in any division with 1,000 or more wins, 11 of which are still active.
The Panthers will return to action on Saturday, March 22 when they open conference play with a trip to Lake Superior State University for a double header.
Contact: Sarah Twiggs