COLUMBUS - The Ohio Dominican Panthers men's basketball team completed the 2022 calendar year with a home victory over the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans on Saturday (Dec. 31) afternoon.
The Panthers went wire-to-wire in a 74-57 win over the Trojans, ending 2022 with a 5-8 record and 2-5 G-MAC mark. Ohio Dominican has won back-to-back games for the first time this season.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Zach Szul (Waterville, Ohio) scored 20 or more points for the third time this season as he led all scorers with 23 points. The junior made ten-of-15 shots for the day with one three pointer and a pair of free throws. He has led the team in seven games and has nine games in double figures. He also had five rebounds with three assists.
- Ethan Haynes (Florence, Kentucky) tied a career-high for three pointers as he knocked down five threes in a 17-point effort. Haynes was six-of-eight from the floor with a five-of-seven day beyond the arc to go with five rebounds and a block.
- Sean Marks (Delaware, Ohio) added his fifth double-digit game with 16 points scored. He tallied 16 points after a ten point second half. The guard completed five of his eight shot attempts, and converted a perfect four-for-four at the free throw line. Marks added three rebounds, a team-high five assists and two steals.
- Jarius Jones (Gahanna, Ohio) scored nine points off the bench.
- Keshawn Heard (Newark, Ohio), in his third straight start, gave the Panthers seven points overall.
- Nate Webb (Lafayette, Indiana) paced all players with eight rebounds and two blocks.
- The Panthers finished the game with a 49.1% field goal percentage as the team made 27 shots on 55 attempts.
- The 49.1% field goal percentage was the second highest of the season.
- Ohio Dominican was 10-of-26 on threes and 10-of-14 at the charity stripe.
- Trevecca shot 38.0% (19-50) overall, with a 27.6% (8-29) three point clip and 78.6% (11-14) free throw percentage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Heard opened the game with a three pointer 25 seconds into the game as Ohio Dominican opened on a 12-4 lead seven minutes in. Five different players scored as the Panthers opened an eight-point lead.
- Trevecca Nazarene closed the gap to 20-18 with 6:11 left in the half.
- ODU hit four three pointers in the final six minutes to push the lead back to ten at halftime, leading 35-25.
- The Trojans hit back-to-back threes at the outset of the second half, pulling within 35-31.
- Haynes answered with two straight threes of his own before Szul scored seven straight points for ODU, giving them a 48-40 lead at the under 12 media timeout.
- The Trojans got within seven points at 53-46 but ODU outscored the Trojans 21-14 over the remaining nine minutes.
The Panthers will head to Malone on Thursday (Jan. 5) for a 7:30 PM tipoff to open 2023.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky