COLUMBUS - With the NCAA holiday break looming, the Ohio Dominican Panthers men's basketball team was able to take some momentum into the holidays with a 71-56 win over Wheeling University on Monday (Dec. 19).
Ohio Dominican snapped the current three game losing streak, improving to 4-8 overall.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Zach Szul (Waterville, Ohio) led the Panthers for the sixth time this season with a game-high 19 points and nine rebounds. Szul converted nine of his 18 shot attempts on the night. The junior was tied for the team lead with four assists and three steals.
- Marcus Johnson (Columbus, Ohio) set a Panther season-high with 18 points off the bench in 22 minutes. Johnson was efficient from the floor, hitting eight of ten shots with four rebounds and two blocks.
- Keshawn Heard (Newark, Ohio) scored 13 points with nine points coming off three triples. Heard's fourth double-digit game added two free throws and three assists.
- Sean Marks (Delaware, Ohio) put up his fourth game of at least ten points (third straight) with 13 points scored. He made three treys of his four field goals with two free throws. He was tied for the team lead with Szul for assists with four.
- Nate Webb (Lafayette, Indiana) and Ethan Haynes (Florence, Kentucky) each had seven rebounds while Haynes scored four points.
- The Panthers outshot the Cardinals by shooting 45.8% (27-59) to 31.7% (20-63).
- From three-point land, Ohio Dominican hit ten threes for 38.5% while Wheeling was nine-of-37 (24.3%).
- Both teams ended with seven free throws each.
- The Panthers won the rebounding category 43-37.
- For the third time this season, ODU blocked at least five shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Heard hit two threes and Szul followed with five points as ODU opened the game with an 11-0 run through three and a half minutes.
- Wheeling closed the gap to two points with 13 of the next 17 points. ODU led 15-13 with 6:37 left.
- Over the final 6:37 of the first half, the Panthers ended with 16 of the next 26 points for a 31-23 lead at halftime. After Wheeling got within two, ODU pushed the lead to as many as eight twice.
- With a 16-6 run to begin the second half, Haynes hit a three pointer to push the lead to 47-29, 18 points with 12:35 to go. Marks started the run with nine straight points for the Panthers on three shots beyond-the-arc.
- Wheeling bounced back with a 10-3 rally to pull within 50-39 three minutes later.
- Nine consecutive points for ODU made it a 22-point game, the largest lead of the night with 6:39 left. Szul scored four points on the run himself.
- Ohio Dominican kept the lead above 14 points, winning 71-56 over the Cardinals.
Ohio Dominican will resume action after the holiday break with an exhibition matchup at Bowling Green on December 29th at 5:00 PM.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky