PAINESVILLE, Ohio - The Ohio Dominican Panthers men's basketball team had to battle for an extra five minutes on Saturday (Dec. 17) against the Lake Erie College Storm at the Osborne Center.
Ohio Dominican fell 76-69 to Lake Erie in overtime, the second overtime contest this season for ODU.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- For the second straight game, Sean Marks (Delaware, Ohio) led the Panthers with 18 points scored. Marks made six shots, four of them from deep with two free throws.
- Zach Szul (Waterville, Ohio) hit nine-of-ten free throws in an 17-point effort. He set a season-best for rebounds with eight. Szul dished out five dimes as well.
- Jarius Jones (Gahanna, Ohio) earned his first career double-double with a monster 18 rebounds with 11 points in his return to action. Jones had a six-of-ten free throw line despite struggling from the floor.
- Jones becomes the first player with 18 rebounds since the 2018-19 season when Hasan Varence had at least 19 rebounds four times.
- Keshawn Heard (Newark, Ohio) ended with a seven point, seven rebound and five block stat line.
- Heard is the first Panther with five blocks in a game since February 7, 2019 when Varence rejected five Lake Erie shots.
- Ohio Dominican shot 28.6% from the floor (20-70), 30.3% (10-33) from deep and 79.2% (19-24) at the free throw line. On the opposite side, Lake Erie finished with a 35.9% (23-64) field goal % and 33.3% (9-27) beyond the arc.
- The Panthers won the rebounding category with season-highs of 51 rebounds and 19 offensive rebounds.
- Both teams had nine blocks in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams tied each other three times in the first 12 points before Lake Erie went on a 22-11 run to open a 11-point lead (28-17) with 5:07 left in the first half.
- Ohio Dominican ended the first half with a 11-2 rally to close the gap to 30-28 Lake Erie.
- Jones scored the final five points after Marks and Nate Webb (Lafayette, Indiana) hit threes.
- The lead remained with Lake Erie until ODU went on a 13-0 run. Lake Erie pushed the lead to 41-38 with 14:37 to go.
- The 13-0 spurt put ODU up 51-41 with 9:35 left.
- Marks had six points on the run while Heard drilled a three pointer.
- Lake Erie closed out the final 3:34 with an 8-0 run to tie the game at 62.
- Szul gave the Panthers a chance at a game-winner but the game went into extra time.
- Szul then scored the first six points of overtime, giving ODU a 68-62 lead with 3:01 left.
- Lake Erie gained back the lead with 1:41 left and won the game 76-69.
Ohio Dominican will host Wheeling University on Monday (Dec. 19) in a non-conference matchup at 5:00 PM, leading into the holiday break.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky