INDIANAPOLIS - The Ohio Dominican Panthers men's basketball team showed some fight in the first half against the Greyhounds of the University of Indianapolis on Friday (Nov. 11) night.
After battling with the Hounds in the first 20 minutes, the Panthers fell 81-39 in the season opener as UIndy created some second half distance.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Marcus Johnson (Columbus, Ohio) led the Panthers with nine points scored and eight rebounds.
- Johnson made two three pointers and three free throws.
- Zach Szul (Waterville, Ohio) ended with eight points and two assists. Szul knocked down two threes while shooting three-of-eight from the floor.
- Nate Webb (Lafayette, Indiana) hit two threes for six points off the bench.
- Mitch Wilkinson (Grand Rapids, Michigan) gave the Panthers five points and five rebounds in 22 minutes.
- Freshman Caleb Laurich (Akron, Ohio) opened his career with two blocks, seven rebounds and two steals.
- Ohio Dominican shot 32% (9-28) in the first half while finishing with a 23% field goal percentage.
- The Panthers made nine threes on the night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UIndy scored the first six points before a three pointer from Szul cut the lead in half less than two minutes in.
- The Hounds pushed the lead to 15-5 six minutes later before Ohio Dominican went on a 13-5 run over the next seven minutes. The Panthers pulled within 20-18 with 5:45 left in the first half.
- After Nate Webb hit a three pointer to make it 23-21 UIndy, the Greyhounds closed the half on a 9-2 run as they held a 32-23 lead at halftime.
- In the second half, Mitch Wilkinson pulled Ohio Dominican within seven (39-32) six minutes in.
- Following the three pointer, the Greyhounds outscored the Panthers 42-7 over the final 12 minutes.
- Ohio Dominican returns home to Alumni Hall for a Sunday (Nov. 13) matinee matchup with Wilberforce, beginning at 3:00 PM.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky