COLUMBUS - The 2022 regular season came to a close on a snowy and cold Saturday (Nov. 11) afternoon on Senior Day for the Ohio Dominican Panthers football team.
With a big second half effort, the Panthers were able to defeat the Hillsdale Chargers 20-10 for their third straight win. Ohio Dominican finished the season 7-3 overall and 6-2 in the G-MAC, the 15th season with at least seven wins and 11th consecutive seven-win season.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Jake Byrd (Fort Wayne, Indiana) threw for 297 yards in the air with a 28-for-40 completion rate as he passed for two touchdowns. Byrd was intercepted twice while also tallying 52 yards on the ground.
- Leo Nixon (Hilliard, Ohio) led the Panthers with 64 yards rushing on seven attempts.
- Ohio Dominican hit 100 yards on the ground for the sixth straight week.
- Austin Davis (Wooster, Ohio) finished with a team-high 83 yards receiving on eight catches, including a long catch of 40 yards.
- Ricardo Washington (Doylestown, Pa.) caught four catches for 44 yards with a touchdown of 11 yards in the fourth quarter.
- Daishaun Hill (Rocky River, Ohio) and Darryl Sinclair (Solon, Ohio) both picked off the Hillsdale quarterback in the contest.
- Harris Nichols (Plainfield, Indiana) averaged 59.2 yards per kickoff and 46.5 yards per punt.
- Michael Powers (West Mansfield, Ohio) and Jaylin Garner (Shaker Heights, Ohio) made seven tackles each on defense.
- Garner sacked the Hillsdale QB three times on the final drive to give him 26.5 sacks for his career and nine for the season.
- Ohio Dominican ran 73 plays for a total of 424 yards, averaging 5.8 yards per play. Hillsdale finished with 364 yards on 55 plays.
- After two games of low time of possession, Ohio Dominican held the ball for over 36 minutes - the fourth time this season.
- The Panthers went ten-of-14 on third down with 25 first downs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hillsdale could not convert a first and goal from the four yard line as they came up short on a field goal attempt.
- The teams were scoreless throughout the first quarter and that continued into the second quarter.
- As Hillsdale was in the red zone again, Daishaun Hill came away with an interception at the goal line to give the Panthers back the ball with 5:05 left in the first half.
- The Chargers charged down the field and scored on a 34-yard field goal as time expired to take a 3-0 lead into halftime.
- Ohio Dominican's second drive of the second half turned into points after a Hillsdale three and out. On a fourth-and -three from the 20-yard line, Jake Byrd connected with Larenz Lacking (Columbus, Ohio) for a 20-yard touchdown. Ohio Dominican took a 7-3 lead with 7:06 left in the third quarter.
- Darryl Sinclair turned away the Chargers once again with a pick at the goal line as Ohio Dominican took over with 4:08 left in the third.
- The Panthers drive continued into the fourth quarter and spanned 12 plays, 80 yards and nearly six minutes of clock. Travis Whittaker (Gahanna, Ohio) pranced into the end zone from three yards out. With a no-good extra point, Ohio Dominican led 13-3 two minutes into the fourth.
- Hillsdale answered with a 11 play, 87-yard drive to pull within 13-10 with eight minutes to go. Michael Herzog scored from two yards.
- Another ten play long drive totaled 71 yards for Ohio Dominican as Byrd capped the game with a 11-yard touchdown to Ricardo Washington.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky