MIDLAND, Michigan - In the penultimate regular season contest and the final road game of the year for the Ohio Dominican Panthers football team, the Panthers reignited a previous series with the Northwood Timberwolves on Saturday (Nov. 5) afternoon.
The Panthers got some big contributions on offense and defense as Ohio Dominican dispatched the Timberwolves 35-24 at Hantz Stadium. Ohio Dominican improved to 6-3 overall and 5-2 in the Great Midwest as Kelly Cummings becomes the all-time winningest coach at Ohio Dominican with his 47th win, surpassing Bill Conley (46).
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Jake Byrd (Fort Wayne, Indiana) tallied 334 yards in the air with 24 completions out of 34 attempts. QB1 threw for four touchdowns for the second time this season.
- Travis Whittaker (Gahanna, Ohio) helped the Panthers reach 100 yards rushing for the fifth straight game with 51 yards on seven attempts.
- Jordan Pantaleo (Dresden, Ohio) carried the ball seven times for 44 yards with a rushing touchdown.
- Andrew Wolf (Ashland, Ohio) led the Panthers as the receiver caught nine passes of 11 targets for 210 yards and another four touchdowns.
- Wolf now has three career 200-yard receiving games in 42 games.
- Zach Bartrum (Meigs County, Ohio) made six catches for 77 yards.
- Kaiden Koch (Grafton, Ohio) knocked in all five extra point tries. making him 30-of-30 on the season.
- Daishaun Hill (Rocky River, Ohio) made a career-high 14 tackles and picked off his third career interception in the second quarter.
- Brayden Taylor (Wooster, Ohio) and Logan Tate (Gambier, Ohio) each made eight tackles on defense.
- Jayden Hill (Gahanna, Ohio) also intercepted a pass (his second career pick).
- The Panthers had eight tackles for loss and one sack in the game.
- Jaylin Garner (Shaker Heights, Ohio) continued his season with two more TFL, giving him 13.5 for the season - leading the G-MAC.
- Six different players had one tackle for loss in the game.
- John Madden (Holland, Ohio) made his first career sack.
- With only 59 plays run, Ohio Dominican won the total offense category 437-405 as Northwood ran 87 plays on offense.
- Ohio Dominican had the ball for 21:57 of the game, the second straight game that ODU was under 22 minutes of possession - both wins.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Northwood came up empty on their first drive after a missed 34-yard field goal as the first quarter ended in a 0-0 tie. Northwood had two drives of ten or more plays, both ending in no points.
- On the first Northwood drive of the second quarter, the Timberwolves tallied a 33-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead with 4:42 to go before halftime. The Panthers held on a first and goal at the two-yard line.
- Jake Byrd connected with Andrew Wolf for an 80-yard touchdown pass on the next play, putting Ohio Dominican up 7-3 with 4:19 left in the second quarter.
- Byrd and Wolf have the first and seventh longest pass completion in program history.
- Two plays later, Jayden Hill picked off the Northwood ball and turned it into points for the Panthers.
- Byrd and Wolf got their second touchdown of the day - a 25-yard strike just one minute later (3:19 left) as Ohio Dominican led 14-3.
- After a Northwood three and out, Mbaimba Tunkara delivered a pick-six as Northwood pulled within 14-10 with 1:16 on the clock before the intermission.
- A big run by Travis Whittaker on the opening play of the next drive led Ohio Dominican to a 71-yard drive before halftime.
- Byrd delivered a wide-open throw to Wolf from 15-yards out for the third score of the first half alone.
- With a 21-10 lead, Daishaun Hill intercepted the long pass attempt at the end of the first half for the Panthers.
- In the second drive of the third quarter, Jordan Pantaleo capped an eight play, 80-yard drive with an angry run of 15 yards. Ohio Dominican's lead grew to 28-10 with 6:19 in the third quarter.
- Northwood opened the fourth period with a short one-yard run, getting the home team within 11 points, 28-17.
- Three minutes later, the Byrd-Wolf train pulled into the station on a 35-yard score as Ohio Dominican gained a 35-17 advantage with 9:18 left.
- With 1:35 to go, Northwood ended the scoring with a 12-yard touchdown. The final score was 35-24.
- Andrew Wolf is the only player in ODU history to have multiple 200-yard receiving games.
- He is the eighth player in G-MAC history with a 200-yard game and only player to have two of them in a career.
- With four touchdowns, Wolf is one of three players to have four or more receiving touchdowns in a game for Ohio Dominican (Cory Contini and Justin Sayre).
- Wolf is the first player to have four touchdowns in two games in the same season.
- Within the G-MAC, Wolf is one of three receivers totaling five games with at least four touchdowns in a game (Cory Contini and Trey Brock).
- He is the only player this season in the G-MAC and Division II with two games of four receiving touchdowns.
- There have been five games with a wide receiver with at least four touchdowns within the program's history.
- Jake Byrd is the only player in the G-MAC to have four passing touchdowns twice this season.
- He leads the G-MAC with four games of at least three passing touchdowns.
- The Panthers will return to Panther Stadium to put a bow on the 2022 regular season with a matchup with Hillsdale. Kickoff on Saturday (Nov. 12) will be at 1:00 PM for Senior Day and Veteran's Appreciation Day.
Contact: Tyler Stotsky