COLUMBUS, Ohio -- For the first time since 2011, Ohio Dominican and Wayne State will meet on the gridiron as the Panthers welcome the Warriors to Columbus for a noon kickoff on Saturday.
ODU will look to extend its win streak to five in a row, while the Warriors enter the contest with a 7-2 record and sit at No. 10 in the latest regional rankings, with the top-seven teams qualifying for the playoffs.
The Panthers scored a 42-13 win at Walsh last week, marking the fourth straight game ODU has scored at least 35 points. ODU erupted for 28 second half points, its highest scoring half of the season, as the Panthers finished with 505 total yards, its second straight week of surpassing 500 yards. The Panthers have punted just twice in the last two weeks as well.
Junior quarterback Grant Russell continued his stellar stretch as he finished 30-of-35 for 374 yards and four touchdowns. Over the last two games, Russell has completed 61-of-70 passes (87.1 percent) for 755 yards and eight scores. In the last five contests, he's completed 116-of-150 throws (77.3 percent) with 14 touchdowns, averaging 297.4 yards per game.
David Turner had a breakout game against the Cavaliers, pulling in 11 passes for 166 yards and two scores. He set a freshman receiving record for most yards in a game and was one reception shy of matching ODU's freshman mark in that category as well. He is also averaging 27.5 yards per kick return, the second best mark in the GLIAC.
The defense had its best statistical game of the season against Walsh as well, holding the Cavaliers to 188 total yards, including just 50 yards on 32 plays in the second half. Walsh threw for just 84 yards on 27 pass attempts in the game, averaging just 3.1 yards per attempt. It was the second time in three weeks ODU has yielded less than 84 passing yards (60, Northwood).
The defensive line helped lead the way as Demetrius Farmer tallied 3.5 tackles for loss and Brian Hunter finished with 2.5 tackles for loss. Overall, ODU had three sacks and nine tackles for loss. Ross Thompson, Farmer, Marquise Tyus and Camren Moore each totaled nine tackles.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 85-34 (.714 win percentage.) The Panthers are 39-9 in their last 48 games (.813 win percentage.) ODU has also won 38 of its last 45 regular season games (.844).
• Over the past 48 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 818 points, an average of 17.0 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 33 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 20 times.
• ODU is 38-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.864 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 23-1 in their last 24 GLIAC South Division games (.958) and are also 24-3 in their last 27 regular season road games (.889).
• ODU is 41-1 (.976) in its last 42 games against unranked opponents, dating back to Oct. 15, 2011.
Contact: Scott Miles