COLUMBUS, Ohio -- For the first time since 2013, Ohio Dominican's football team will cross the Mackinac Bridge as the Panthers take on Northern Michigan at 1 p.m. Saturday. This is the third all-time meeting between the schools, with ODU taking the first two contests, including a 30-23 decision in the Superior Dome three years ago.
The Panthers will look to carry the momentum from last week's 35-28 home win over Northwood on the road with them. ODU scored touchdowns on offense, defense and special teams for the first time since 2013 as Billy Eakins had a 92 yard interception return for a score and David Turner took a kickoff back 100 yards as well. It was the first time since Sept. 28, 2013 against Grand Valley that the Panthers had multiple 90-plus yard plays in the same game, and that was also the last time ODU scored offensive, defensive and special teams touchdowns as well.
Overall, ODU had five plays of at least 34 yards against Northwood.
Turner's kick return was a school record long and his 156 return yards were the fourth most in a game in ODU history.
Offensively, Cory Contini caught six passes for 136 yards, his third 100-yard game of the season and fourth of his career, and now leads the GLIAC in receptions (46). Grant Russell completed 16 of his 24 throws for 238 yards and two scores and paces the GLIAC in completion percentage (64.4), which also ranks 21st in the country.
The Panthers won despite rushing for just 78 yards. It was just the 11th time that ODU has been held below the century mark on the ground since 2010 (5-6). ODU improved to 43-4 since 2010 when holding a halftime lead, including a 4-0 record this season.
The defense limited Northwood to 60 passing yards on eight completions. That's the fourth-fewest passing yards ODU has yielded in a game in school history, while the eight completions are tied for the 10th fewest.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 83-34 (.709 win percentage.) The Panthers are 37-9 in their last 46 games (.804 win percentage.) ODU has also won 36 of its last 43 regular season games (.837).
• Over the past 46 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 779 points, an average of 16.9 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 31 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 19 times.
• ODU is 37-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.860 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 22-1 in their last 23 GLIAC South Division games (.956) and are also 22-3 in their last 25 regular season road games (.880).
• ODU is 39-1 (.975) in its last 40 games against unranked opponents, dating back to October 15, 2011.
Contact: Scott Miles