LAKE ERIE HIGHLIGHTS
CORY CONTINI ONE-HANDED TOUCHDOWN
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- After a resounding road victory at Lake Erie last Saturday, Ohio Dominican's football team returns home to take on Northwood this Saturday at noon in Panther Stadium.
The Panthers led 42-0 over Lake Erie in the middle of the second quarter and racked up a season-best 505 yards of total offense while limiting the Storm to just 260 yards. The Panthers had a 379-60 edge in total yardage at halftime as well.
Lake Erie averaged just 2.5 yards per carry and the defense held the Storm to just 3-of-15 on third downs. The Panthers also had a pair of takeaways as Tyler Makuch and O'Sha Jackson each picked off passes in the first half.
The Panthers finished with six sacks and 12 tackles for loss as a team. The sack total is tied for the second-best mark in ODU annals – the last time the Panthers had six sacks in a game came against Georgetown (Ky.) on Sept. 5, 2013. The 12 tackles for loss are tied for the ninth-most in school history. This was also the eighth time since joining the GLIAC in 2010 that the Panthers have held a conference opponent to seven points or less.
Demetrius Farmer led the defense with 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 4.0 tackles for loss. The tackles for loss are tied for the fourth most in a game in school history and the sacks are tied for fifth most in ODU history. He matched a career high with those 10 tackles as well.
Offensively, the Panthers ran for 234 yards, averaging 6.2 yards per carry, and threw for 271. ODU scored on its first six possessions of the game and also scored on all seven trips inside the Lake Erie red zone. ODU also converted all six of its third down tries in the first half.
Grant Russell completed 10-of-11 passes for 173 yards and a touchdown and carried the ball nine times for 77 yards and two more scores. He played just 30 offensive snaps, all in the first half.
Austin Ernst threw for 98 yards and two touchdowns in relief, Cory Contini had a 67 yard catch as well as an acrobatic one handed touchdown grab, and EJ Colson ran for 56 yards to help lead the offense. Aaron Stephens also had his first career touchdown catch, which was the first TD by a Panther tight end since Jerad Butler caught a touchdown at Walsh on Sept. 27, 2014.
Eight players had at least one carry and 10 players had at least one catch in the contest.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 82-34 (.707 win percentage.) The Panthers are 36-9 in their last 45 games (.800 win percentage.) ODU has also won 35 of its last 42 regular season games (.833).
• Over the past 45 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 772 points, an average of 17.2points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 30 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 19 times.
• ODU is 37-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.860 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 22-1 in their last 23 GLIAC South Division games (.956) and are also 22-3 in their last 25 regular season road games (.880).
• ODU is 38-1 (.974) in its last 39 games against unranked opponents, dating back to October 15, 2011.
Contact: Scott Miles