COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio Dominican's football team returns to the road as the Panthers travel to Painesville for a matchup against Lake Erie at 7 p.m. Saturday.
ODU looks to bounce back from a 24-21 setback to No. 2 Grand Valley last week. The Panthers outgained GVSU by a 464-353 margin, but had six turnovers in the contest, including three in the fourth quarter, that proved costly.
The defense shined as they held one of the nation's top offenses in check and had a pair of takeaways as well. The Panthers held GVSU 23 points below their scoring average, 211 yards below their total offense output, and 245 yards below their rushing output. ODU also did a great job getting off the field defensively, allowing the Lakers to convert just 2-of-11 third downs after GVSU had converted 67 percent entering the game.
Overall, ODU's defense has been stout against the run the last four weeks, allowing 365 total rushing yards in that span (91.3 per game) and 3.1 yards per carry. Overall, the Panthers have held four of their five opponents below their season average in total yardage.
Offensively, ODU was able to rack up 32 first downs, including 23 in the second half alone, the most total first downs in a game since the Panthers had 31 against Lake Erie in 2014. GVSU had not allowed more than 326 total yards or 225 passing yards in any of its first four contests, but the Panthers eclipsed both those figures by over 100 yards.
Cory Contini and Dar Stanford each set personal bests by hauling in 10 passes. Contini had 150 yards and two scores, and eight of his receptions covered first down yardage. Stanford had 81 yards and a touchdown. Grant Russell threw for 321 yards as well, which was a season-high and his second career 300-yard game.
Contini is averaging better than 7.5 catches per contest and ranks second in the league with 38 receptions. He had just six catches during his freshman campaign.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 81-34 (.704 win percentage.) The Panthers are 35-9 in their last 44 games (.795 win percentage.) ODU has also won 34 of its last 41 regular season games (.829).
• Over the past 44 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 734 points, an average of 16.8 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 29 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 18 times.
• ODU is 36-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.857 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 21-1 in their last 22 GLIAC South Division games (.955) and are also 21-3 in their last 24 regular season road games (.875).
• ODU is 37-1 in its last 38 games against unranked opponents, dating back to October 15, 2011.
Contact: Scott Miles