COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Playing its third road night game in four weeks, Ohio Dominican's football team will look to regain its winning ways as the Panthers travel to Michigan to take on Saginaw Valley State at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Ohio Dominican is the only GLIAC school to play three of its first four games away from home. This is the second time in school history that the Panthers have opened up with such a schedule (2006).
ODU suffered a 17-10 setback to Michigan Tech last Saturday in its home opener. It was the first time ODU lost a game when holding an opponent under 20 points since Sept. 25, 2010 at Wayne State (17-7). It was only the fourth time in school history the Panthers have lost a game when holding its opponent below 20 points as well.
Statistically, the two teams were evenly matched. The Panthers ran for 137 yards and threw for 163 yards to finish with 300 total yards and 20 first downs. The Huskies ran for 129 yards and threw for 172 to tally 301 yards and 19 first downs.
Starting field position was a determining factor, in particular in the second half, when ODU's average drive start came on its own 17 yard line, compared to Michigan Tech's starting field position at its own 36. The Huskies' go-ahead TD drive in the third quarter covered just 30 yards, and neither team scored over the final 17:04 of the game.
Tre McIntyre totaled 10 tackles to lead the defense, with Ross Thompson and Cameron Kohl each registering nine stops. Demetrius Farmer finished with eight tackles and a sack as well. After allowing 302 rushing yards in the opener against Ferris State, the defense has limited Findlay and Michigan Tech to 125.5 yards per game on the ground over the last two weeks (3.6 yards per carry.)
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 80-33 (.708 win percentage.) The Panthers are 34-8 in their last 42 games (.809 win percentage.) ODU has also won 33 of its last 39 regular season games (.846).
• Over the past 42 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 726 points, an average of 17.3 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 29 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 17 times.
• ODU is 36-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.857 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 21-1 in their last 22 GLIAC South Division games (.955) and are also 20-3 in their last 23 regular season road games (.869).
• ODU is 36-1 in its last 37 games against unranked opponents, dating back to October 15, 2011.
Contact: Scott Miles