COLUMBUS, Ohio -- For the first time since 2011, Ohio Dominican and Michigan Tech will square off on the gridiron as the Panthers welcome the Huskies to Sunbury Road for the team's home opener at noon on Saturday.
Both teams enter the meeting with a 1-1 record overall and in the GLIAC, with each suffering setbacks to Ferris State. In week two, the Panthers defeated Findlay 49-37, while the Huskies fell to Ferris 30-28 on a late field goal.
ODU rode the momentum of four consecutive touchdown drives to start the game at Findlay, then sweated out some anxious moments late to hold off the Oilers. The Panthers were outgained 514-434 in the contest, but came up with a school record tying five interceptions to stop UF's comeback bid.
Billy Eakins and Tre McIntyre each had two picks and Gus Dimmerling added another to lead the defense. It was the first time in school history that two Panthers had more than one interception in the same game. Eakins' two interceptions gives him 13 for his career, establishing a new Panther record. He also had nine tackles, as did McIntyre, while Dimmerling and Marquise Tyus led the team with 11 stops. Ross Thompson also had nine tackles and Cameron Kohl added eight.
Dar Stanford had a prolific night, hauling in nine passes for 166 yards and a touchdown. The 166 yards are the tenth-most in ODU single-game history. Cory Contini caught nine passes for 95 yards and two scores, while Grant Russell completed 23-of-36 passes for 279 yards and three TDs while also rushing for 43 more and a score.
ODU has six players ranked in the top 20 in tackles in the conference, led by McIntyre (fourth) with 23 and Dimmerling (sixth) with 22. Thompson ranks tenth with 21 stops, Eakins is 12th with 19 tackles, and Kohl and Tyus are tied for 17th with 18 tackles each.
Contini is tied for the GLIAC lead with 16 receptions through two weeks. Stanford ranks fifth in the GLIAC with 13 receptions and third with 106.0 yards per game. He's also seventh in the league in yards per catch (16.3).
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 80-32 (.714 win percentage.) The Panthers are 34-7 in their last 41 games (.829 win percentage.) ODU has also won 33 of its last 38 regular season games (.868).
• Over the past 41 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 733 points, an average of 17.9 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 29 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 17 times.
• ODU is 36-6 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.857 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 21-1 in their last 22 GLIAC South Division games (.955) and are also 20-3 in their last 23 regular season road games (.869).
• ODU has won 36 consecutive games against unranked opponents. The last loss came on Oct. 15, 2011 at Findlay.
Contact: Scott Miles