MASON, Ohio – The Ohio Dominican baseball team rallied from a three-run deficit to walk off in the bottom of the ninth of Thursday's first elimination game of the Great Midwest Tournament, defeating Cedarville 7-6.
The Panthers conceded the first three runs of the game, but with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, scored the game-winning run on a balk by the Cedarville pitcher. With the win, ODU advances to Game 10 of the G-MAC Tournament and will play another elimination contest at 6 p.m. on Thursday.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- The marathon game between the No. 3 Panthers and No. 7 Yellow Jackets (17-22) lasted four hours and two minutes.
- At the plate, the two sides combined for 13 runs, 15 hits, 17 walks, nine hit batters.
- Over nine innings of action there were four lead changes and three ties.
- Six different batters for Ohio Dominican recorded a hit in the game.
- Sophomore Alex Brill (Amherst, Ohio) had a sac fly in the fourth inning and a two-run double in the fifth to lead the offensive attack with three RBI.
- Three pitchers saw action for ODU, highlighted by two scoreless innings from redshirt freshman Tyler Sullivan (Cincinnati, Ohio). Sullivan allowed just one hit and struck out five batters.
- Freshman Derek Bolander (Oregon, Ohio) tossed the final four frames for his longest collegiate outing, earning the win while allowing two earned runs on four hits. Bolander also struck out five batters.
- Junior Brendan Hofacre (Chardon, Ohio) got the nod to start on the mound and worked around a bases loaded jam in the second inning with back-to-back strikeouts to keep the game in a 0-0 tie.
- Cedarville though, tagged Hofacre for three runs over the third and fourth innings to take a 3-1 advantage.
- ODU did not record its first hit of the contest until the bottom of the fifth when freshman Lane Marshall (Wooster, Ohio) notched a single to center field with two outs.
- A walk from junior Thomas Staab (Bellville, Ohio) and an infield single from senior Jace Komminsk (Westerville, Ohio) loaded the bases.
- Sophomore Derek Kutrubs (Brunswick, Ohio) was then hit by a pitch, and Brill followed by driving in two additional runs with a double to center field, giving the Panthers their first lead, 4-3.
- Cedarville tied the game at four-all in the top of the sixth, but in the next half inning, another two-out base hit gave the Black & Gold the lead again, 5-4, as Staab's run-scoring single brought freshman Michael McFadden (Brunswick, Ohio) across home plate.
- Brill scored on a wild pitch in the seventh inning, but the Yellow Jackets recorded a two-run home run in the top of the eighth to tie the game at 6-6.
- The Panthers loaded the bases with no outs in the eighth and ninth innings. ODU was unable to bring home anyone in the eighth, but a one-out balk in the ninth allowed graduate senior Roger Danison (Carroll, Ohio) to come home for the game-winning tally.
- The Panthers will continue their journey in the consolation bracket of the G-MAC Tournament at 6 p.m., Thursday, May 13.
- ODU will face either No. 1 Trevecca Nazarene or No. 4 Kentucky Wesleyan.
Contact: Tyler Jester