COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Dominican baseball team posted 20 runs over its home doubleheader with Lake Erie Friday afternoon, taking both sets, 11-1 and 9-8.
The Panther sophomores showed up clutch, including in Game Two, as Alex Brill (Amherst, Ohio) registered the win on the mound and had a walk-off double in the ninth inning of the 9-8 decision. In Game One, sophomore Derek Kutrubs (Brunswick, Ohio) hit a two-run home run to conclude the contest early, 11-1 in seven innings.
ODU has now won four straight games and nine of its last ten outings. As a result, the Panthers are 25-9 overall and 17-9 in Great Midwest play. The Black & Gold have enjoyed home cooking this season as well, as the doubleheader sweep moves ODU to 10-2 at Panther Valley.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Brill came up big in Game Two, going 5-for-6 with three doubles, including a two-bagger to left center in the bottom of the ninth.
- The sophomore also pitched the top of the ninth inning, working around two base runners to keep Lake Erie scoreless.
- Sophomore David Silva (Tontogany, Ohio) had multiple hits in both games, finishing the afternoon 5-for-9 with three runs scored, including the game winner in the nightcap.
- Graduate senior Jace Komminsk (Westerville, Ohio) had three hits on the day, including a 2-for-5 effort in Game Two, with two runs scored.
- Freshman Scott Rouse (Hinckley, Ohio) improved to 5-2 this spring after recording the win in the opener. Rouse is now one win shy of the conference leaders.
GAME ONE SUMMARY
- Trailing 1-0 heading to the bottom of the fourth, the Panthers pounced for seven runs on three hits, while also taking advantage of three wild pitches.
- Komminsk and Silva each drove in two runs during the rally with two-out hits to right and left field, respectively.
- Sophomore Brennen Hunt (Ashland, Ohio) launched a two-run homer in the fifth to extend the Panther advantage to 9-1.
- Rouse tossed 5.1 innings, allowing just one run on four hits. He struck out five batters in the outing.
- Freshman Andrew Deyhle (Cincinnati, Ohio) finished the game, throwing 1.2 innings, allowing just one hit.
- Graduate senior Roger Danison (Carroll, Ohio) led off the seventh with a base hit through the left side.
- Two batters later, Kutrubs ended the game with a home run to left field.
GAME TWO SUMMARY
- Komminsk, Silva and Brill, the 2-3-4 hitters combined for nine of the team's 12 hits in Game Two, including a total of five doubles.
- The Panthers scored five of their nine runs off LEC wild pitches.
- ODU jumped out to a 5-0 lead through two innings. Komminsk and Brill had RBI base hits during a five-run second frame.
- Lake Erie rallied to tie the game at 5-all after three runs in the third and two more in the fourth.
- The scheduled seven-inning game was still tied at 5-5 after seven complete.
- Both sides scored three runs in the eighth frame, with all three ODU runs coming off LEC wild pitches.
- In the bottom of the ninth, Silva ripped a single through the left side with two outs.
- In the next at-bat, Brill belted a double to the gap in left center, a play Silva ultimately crossed home plate on to give ODU the 9-8 win.
- The Panthers will conclude their G-MAC slate with another doubleheader against Lake Erie, beginning at noon, Saturday, May 1.
Contact: Tyler Jester